On July 1, 2014, Probate Court was transferred from Franklin County General Sessions Court to Chancery Court. Changes have been made to the probate process. We hope these changes will make Probate more accessible and convenient to the Attorneys and families. The changes are as follows:
- Appointments will need to be made to probate an estate
- We will accommodate everyone by being very flexible with dates and times
- We will not make appointments on days Chancellor Blevins-Willis is holding Court
- An Information sheet is provided on this Website under “Probate Forms” to be completed and returned to us prior to your appointment. (This will avoid the need to prepare forms after you arrive)
Also, you must fax or email the Petition, Order and Will (if one) along with the information sheet. This will save time and assure that all documents are correct.
Please remind your clients that cost for opening estate is $324.50 plus $120.00 for Notice to Creditors- Payable to The Herald Chronicle.
We only take cash, check or money orders.
All claims must be stamped certified and filed in triplicate.
Cost is $11.00
- THERE IS A 45-DAY WAITING PERIOD AFTER THE DATE OF DEATH
- CERTIFIED COPY OF THE DEATH CERTIFICATE.
- AFFIDAVIT FROM ALL THE HEIRS THAT ARE NOT JOINING IN THE SMALL ESTATE AFFIDAVIT.
- LIST OF ALL OUTSTANDING DEBTS OWED BY THE DECEASED.
- $50,000.00 LIMITATION AND NO REAL PROPERTY.
- COURT COST $140.50
- IF BOND IS REQUIRED SEE INSURANCE COMPANY. 8.COURT COSTS ARE PAYABLE IN CASH OR CHECK AT THE TIME OF FILING. NOTICE TO CREDITORS ARE PAYABLE BY CHECK ONLY (IF NEEDED).
- IF THERE IS AN ORIGINAL LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT, IT WILL BE FILED WITH THE PROBATE COURT.